Monday, July 11, 2011

The Weekends

Aaron's commute to the hospital in the mornings, when he takes the bus, is 1.5 hours one way.  This means that by the time he gets home and we eat dinner it is getting late.  The weekends are usually our only time to go out and explore together.  We try to fit in as much as we can on the weekends.  This is what we did last weekend.  


The farmers market is a favorite of ours.  I have not been for a while and every time I go back I tell myself I need to go there more often.  This frozen delight is our very favorite drink here.  Listed are the ingredients which include: pineapple, water, ice, sugar, pear juice, pineapple juice, milk, coconut cream, and  citric acid.  Very delish.




This time when we went to the farmers market we had to try fresh coconut.  This was our first time eating fresh coconut.  This is how it works.  You walk up to the guy and you give him $5.00.  He uses that very sharp machete looking knife and slices the top off of the coconut and gives you a couple straws.  He tells you to come back after you have drank all of the coconut water and he will scoop out all the meat inside.  Coconut water is, let me say, interesting.  It is definitely an acquired taste.  

















 After we finally finished the water he scooped out the meat from both shells and pilled it all in one of them.  The meat is also interesting.  It is very moist and rubbery.... did not taste like coconut.  Still good though.



 



Punchbowl Cemetery and Memorial
Punchbowl is another crater that they have used as a cemetery and memorial.  

This is the view looking up toward the stairs.

 This view is on the stairs looking out.  From the looks of it they were tearing up the grass and getting ready to plant something else. 









There were many of these rectangular structures that had thousands of names engraved on the granite.  Each name is a person who died fighting for our freedom and was never found. 



On Saturday mornings we usually like to get out and go on a hike.  There are so many places to hike around here.  This one is pretty close to our house, not sure how to pronounce it.  We opted for the shorter 1.7 mile hike and glad we did because it was a hot day.




Our roommate Donna, has a friend who is renting out her apartment to this girl Jenn.  We invited her to come along with us on the hike.




As a fourth year student Aaron received a NEW white coat that makes him more official.  Instead of having the SCCO logo this one only has his name on it.  I have been wanting to get out and get some occupational shots of him in his business attire. 










Aaron thought it would be fun for me to wear his coat..... I was excited too.












It was a great weekend.  As a side note I just started another term in school. Since I am not working I decided to add another class,  I have mixed feelings but overall I will be glad in the long run and it helps to keep me busy. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shonee... Where are you guys...Hawaii??? Love all the pictures especially the ones of Aaron in his coat. and you look awesome in the jacket too...much deserved by both of you!!! Hope all is well...Please keep in touch!

Neal and Angie said...

I love reading what you do every weekend. You're the coolest ever! Sounds like you're make some amazing memories! Great job on Aaron's pictures. Can't wait till you're back in CA though!